FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A conversation with a nonrev seatmate...
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:32 pm
Seat 1F

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
For me, the only real solution to the Shena upgrade issues is for Delta (and all US carriers for that matter) to dramatically cut back on non-rev benefits. Frankly, my view is that the benefit is a relic of days gone by. Really makes no sense to continue to offer these today. Why should an employee or retiree friend get to fly free on the carrier? Just because? It makes no sense.

The problem is that non-rev benefits are grandfathered into contracts and must be one of the most difficult things to ammend. To be honest, I am surprised that when DL/UA/NW went through chapter 11, they did not address the non-rev benefit issue at the time. Maybe AA will be the first if they do enter into chapter 11 in the future.

My recommendation is to completely eliminate friends and extended family non-rev perks and limit the employee perks to maybe 2-3 trips per year with one companion allowed if they travel with the employee. And these allowable trips should only be in Y class with no option for upgrading to F or J. Period!!

Let the flames commence as they will.....but I am convinced this is the only way to deal with this issue and put an end to employees feeling entitled and the opportunity for games to be played.