FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 25,000 SkyMiles for $500 in SkyMall Purchases - ROUND 2 on the way SOON!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:13 pm
drbobguy

Originally Posted by patriciamartin1954
In the meantime, can someone clarify what you mean by price matching? By whom?
Skymall has a policy to price match other retailers on the items they sold. We flyertalkers were originally unsure if the price match would invalidate the skymiles offer because the terms of the offer are that it cannot be combined with any other offers/coupons (like the free shipping coupon).

After contacting Aaron (a helpful Skymall employee) he said that the price match would not invalidate the 25000 skymiles offer, so many here used a sams club retail ad of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was cheaper than MSRP to get about $25 off (if I remember correctly). This amount was refunded to your credit card sometime after purchase (they manually did the refunds). A few members have had problems getting the refunds.

I think the Skymall price match only applies to brick and mortar stores, not internet-only outlets.

Also note many used the free shipping code and still got the miles, but that's against the T&C of the offer so who knows if it would work again. Shipping for a $500 order I believe is $22 (they charge based on the value of the order, not weight).

All in all Skymall has been very true to their word and responsive in terms of answering our questions. If you follow the T&C you will definitely get your miles, but it's a little hard to still get good value considering Skymall's prices and the fact that you have to pay $20 in shipping plus tax per order. So you're paying a $60 premium over Amazon for instance even if they charge the same for the product (and usually the Skymall price is higher).

Other strategies mentioned were "returning" the items to Sams or elsewhere for cash or store credit (unethical) or using Craigslist whereby you can avoid eBay's 10% fees but the rate of scamming is higher and you have to meet the buyer face to face.