FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Selecting Seats on Hawaiian (Award Travel Booked Using Partner Airline Miles)?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:25 pm
glu800

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Selecting Seats on Hawaiian (Award Travel Booked Using Partner Airline Miles)?

Hi, I've recently booked an award ticket using AA miles on Hawaiian Airlines. The travel is almost a year out, in Sept 2012.

Using ExpertFlyer, I can see which seats are open for selection, but the odd thing is, most of the seats are already "occupied" or designated as "premium" only. I find it hard to believe that a flight almost one year out is already full, so I'm guessing HA is blocking seats right now for some reason... and I'm pretty sure its true because every date around that time period shows the same seats blocked off. I've selected row 21 on the 767 (one of the few seats still open), but I'd much rather sit somewhere further in front by the window (and not over the wing) so I can have a better view.

Has anyone had any experience with choosing seats so far in advance? When does HA usually make the bulk of the seats available? I looked at random seat availability from Jan - Sept and noticed not a lot of options available either.

EDIT: Hmm... even weirder, I made a dummy booking on HA website, and definitely way more seats are available. And I don't have any status with Hawaiian.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 3, 2016 at 7:35 am Reason: retitled for clarity