FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 8: Do you have concerns about commercialization of FlyerTalk?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:31 am
kipper
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think this topic needs to be addressed in great detail and that TalkBoard needs to create specific guidelines to address this, between the concerns about commercial-type do's to referral links in signatures, to the "PM me for a referral" to those looking to promote their companies on FT.

My general feelings are:
Commercial Do's--Any commercial aspects should be made clear to everyone up front, and any benefits given to the organizers should also be made known to everyone. Transparency is important here. I'd like to see a sub-forum of Community Buzz for commercial do's, if the membership wants to see commercial do's on the forums at all.
FT'ers looking to promote their businesses to FT'ers--These should be vetted so that the users know they are legitimate companies, and there should be a forum that allows FT'ers to promote their businesses. I'd picture this with either subforums for various categories, or threads for various categories, to make it easier to find categories of businesses.
Companies looking to have a presence on FT--Having company representatives vetted and their handles in green is a great step towards managing this. This allows members to know that these representatives are legitimate and can either escalate or address their concerns, and can help the members.
Referral links in signatures--I'd like to see these prohibited, as they don't benefit the community. They benefit only that person. I'd rather see any referrals be in the form of a conga in S.P.A.M., where all members can benefit, each by using a referral link, and then posting their own.
PM me for a referral--This should be prohibited as well, and again, referrals should be handled in the form of a conga in S.P.A.M., where the community benefits.

I do not have a financial interest in any companies that market themselves towards FlyerTalkers.