FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which FF program to replace DC for you?
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:52 am
sofasurfer

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Question Which FF program to replace DC for you?

Now that it seems that we really are facing the closing stages of Diamond Club, might it be a good idea to have a dedicated thread where people can discuss what options might be best for them?

As there are many of us with different circumstances (number of miles, how we could earn miles - flying or otherwise, base location, flying patterns, whether status/redemption possibilities are priority), if more people can add data and discussion points (and, perhaps, links to key threads on other subforums that others may not be as familiar with) this could build up to a useful resource in its own right (and not be buried in other discussions!)

So here's my situation:

Winding up DC:
I'm sitting on about 130k miles, which could be burned for 3 TATL trips for Mum to visit in the next year in C using C&M (that, with the return OW I still need to book for her upcoming trip, should clean us out if need be).

Initial speculation re. BAEC:
The family account option is attractive, but C&M has been our favoured burn route for seats in C.
C&M doesn't seem to be anything as good an option with BA, but it's still there - but I gather MFU is the thing to aim for with BA?

Flying habits and other earning potential:
Relatively modest compared to others on here, I'm sure
We're based between YYZ/BUF.
Mrs Sofasurfer usually has 2x intl work trips each year (Paris and China confirmed for 2012)
Annual family trips include 2-3 in North America (usually Florida for in-laws, indirect flights ex-BUF have been a great earner for us!) and at least 1 TATL.
I think there's a BA credit card in Canada and transfer options with RBC and Amex points, so scope there to top up.

Redemption or status?
Redemptions in C (using C&M) were our preferred habit in DC.

We don't fly enough for status (I dropped back to Blue, Mrs Sofasurfer is Silver (Little Miss Sofasurfer will hit silver if we do one more flight before DC ends!) so the family has possible status matches to BA that might be useful.

Other thoughts:
Living in Canada, Aeroplan is the immediate choice for *A - but none of us are likely to hit status (but A3 is the no-brainer - *S has value in NA in terms of avoiding bag fees, at least).
Thinking of Alaskan for non-*A miles earn/burn (to at least consolidate non-*A flying, as AS seem to have arrangements with OW and ST members , in spite of not being part of an alliance themselves). Don't think they have family membership, though.
LMS is 5 years old, has a M&M JetFriends account (before family accounts existed in DC) with about 8k and I don't think these miles start to expire until she hits 18. Not sure which other FF programs are particularly child/family-friendly?