FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B6 504 EWR-FLL diverted to BDL, calling for police on board the aircraft
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:29 am
volvo99

Originally Posted by ellinj
Not that I am defending anyone here, but isn't the true crux of the problem the failed ILS at EWR? I don't think anyone could have predicted that. Granted, B6 and BDL should have had the appropriate contingency plans in place to deal with the aftermath.
That's a mechanical problem that just can't be anticipated. I think the real issue is that JetBlue seems to have a hard time getting all the stakeholders involved in preparing a game plan to deal effectively with severe weather and the aftermath in delay and diversion recovery.

But then again, should we really be surprised considering how much companies leverage into the "lean manufacturing" and "just in time" philosopy that leaves little maneuvering in case of a severe disruption to the supply chain, whether it be a tsunami, labor conflict, or in this case, a bad storm? Time for JetBlue to assess themselves in the mirror and contemplate the consequences of being a big airline with a startup mentality.