FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B6 504 EWR-FLL diverted to BDL, calling for police on board the aircraft
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:14 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Can those holding jetBlue at full blame tell me how is a flight crew suppose to get the airports to assist them from inside the plane? Should the co-pilot jettison out the cockpit window and commandeer a set of airstairs, a transport bus, and clear the snow off the tarmac (can't forget that part)?
Unless the airport is completely depopulated or overrun by zombies this is an utterly specious argument. There are JetBlue employees in there.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Congress did jacksh*t to set up viable contigency plans at airports when weather rears its ugly head. Which airports should be designated diversionary airports? Are they adequately equiped to handle a large influx of aircraft? I hold the airport authority more to blame for leaving these passengers stranded than jetBlue... no one in Washington gave them any guidance in these matters.
Oh, so now Congress should be writing irrops plans for the airlines? I thought the argument was that Congress should stop meddling in airline ops. A responsible transportation provider shouldn't need Congress to tell them where to land, BDL, BTV or BGR. OTOH, B6 in critical situations seems run like a high school cheerleaders' bake sale and in need of adult supervision.

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Another contributing factor is that this happened on the weekend. And who works on Saturday - the most junior lowest seniority folks... I suspect that the B6 dispatch and operations center became quickly overloaded... And they probably had minimum weekend staffing populated by the newest and most junior dispatchers and supervisors.
Well, call people back in, for God's sake. They're home in Queens watching football, not on Mars. I worked for years in network TV news. Junior staffers run the desks on Saturday and Sunday evenings, but if a big story breaks the veterans flood the zone and the newbies switch to running the coffee machines. An airline is not so different -- or shouldn't be. B6 flunks this test repeatedly.

Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
I have a bunch of Boarding Passes from previous jetBlue flights, where jetBlue operations were significantly disrupted by a variety of factors that exceeded the (nominal) threshold of jetBlue....

One need not be a Rocket Scientist to conclude that jetBlue lacks the infrastructure to respond to irregularities like they are regularities.
The odd thing is B6 seems more willing to sustain significant brand damage and goodwill loss in these cases than develop the reflexes to solve these problems.

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 31, 2011 at 11:19 am