FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MiFi Wifi Rental in Japan
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:44 pm
NickP 1K

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I just rented the BIC Wimax for a week from Rentaphone Japan as well. All-in-all, a good experience.

My first day, in the Tokyo Bay area, I had no signal. They told me it was a function of the technology in some places. However, in Kyoto and back in Tokyo at the Hyatt Regency in Roppongi Hills, it was lightening fast. Right up there with the fastest HSIA I've ever experienced.

At ~$100 for a week without a coinciding phone rental, it's not cheap, but it was well worth it for me. I will rent from them again next time I'm in Japan.
Hmmm, never had an issue in Tokyo Bay areas. I just rented the HSDPA one from Global Advanced Comm and it was NOTICEABLE how much slower it was then the BIC WiMax unit! Will go back to the Bic WiMax. BTW Global Advanced does a 42Mb/sec HSDPA+ unit but they said it wasn't available the dates I want it. I'm back in two weeks and Bic WiMax again I guess... should just get my rep to buy one of these and bill me the annual - would be much cheaper then renting these so often?