FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choice Hotels Property Review Thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:23 am
BigLar
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clarion Collection Opera le Pavillon, Paris

We (6 of us) spent 4 nights in this hotel. I took advantage of the 8000 point/night "sale" from Choice, and it was the best 96,000 points I've spent.

Location - the hotel is located on the Rue de Parme, which is a bit hard to find (the car driver was somewhat confused, but he got us there in good time). Rue de Parme goes between Rue de Clichy and Rue d'Amsterdam. so it is a short street. On each corner of the street is a small restaurant, and across the street is another resto and a bar, so you'll never be without someplace to eat/drink. A police station is right next door, so no worries day or night. The street is rather quiet anyhow, and appeared to be quite safe and un-touristed. Nice.

Area - The Place de Clichy is a block or so away, and is quite busy, with loads of tourists, fine- and fast-food restaurants, Starbucks, etc. I even saw my first (and only) pool room in France! Lots of touristy stuff to do - Pigalle, Moulin Rouge are just a short walk away, and Montmarte/Sacre Cour a bit longer walk. Liege metro stop is two blocks one way, and Place de Clichy stop is the other way. Plus, of course, busses. No problem getting anywhere in Paris from there.

Arrival - we were met by the lovely Cecelia, who knew our names when we walked in, and who also turned out to be one of the most charming and helpful staff members of any hotel I've been in. Nothing was too much trouble for her. Shortly after arrival, she produced the champagne we were entitled to upon arrival. Nice.

Rooms - I got a Superior room, and it was probably the best room in the house. At least, it was the only one with a balcony you could actually walk out on to. The rest of the party got deluxe rooms, though I didn't see all that much difference. As is to be expected in Paris, the rooms were on the smallish side. However, they were scrupulously clean and very well appointed. The bathrooms were complete (though no bidet) and the hot water was plentiful and had great pressure. A hair dryer was attached to the wall. There is a minibar which is loaded with soft drinks, juice, and a couple of munchies. It's free, and they refill it every couple of days. TV is smallish, and only a dozen or so channels. So ... ?

Beds - Forgot to mention - the beds are extremely comfortable, and good-sized, too. Good quality linens, and turn-down service every night. Plus, Godiva chocolates (dark ^) on the pillows.

Food - There is a continental breakfast every morning with the usual stuff - juices, cereals, pastries (love those chocolate croissants), oceans of excellent coffee, hard- or soft-boiled eggs on request, and an assortment of meats (ham, salami) and cheeses and rolls. One could easily stock up enough on breakfast to last you through most of the day.

If you get back in the late afternoon, there is also what they call a tea service which consists of tea (of course!) and another assortment of meats, cheeses, and rolls, with a couple of cold pasta dishes (cous-cous?) and a chocolate pie. Surprisingly, there was no coffee, but they will provide it on request (not free).

Given the cost of eating in Paris, the available munchies can make a very welcome dent in your food budget - not fine dining but certainly filling. We tend to grab a few of those BabyBel cheese rounds to slip in our pockets as we wander about Paris.

WiFi - Free in every room - good connection, fast enough but won't blow your socks off. Also, a free terminal in the lobby, if you can manage the French keyboard.

Overall - Nice, quiet rooms (top quality windows and doors) in a charming street and a nice base from which to explore Paris. The rack rate is a little steep (~300 euros) but one can do better on line. For points, it's a real deal. There was never any indication that we would be considered second-class guests because we were there on points.

Drawbacks - The lift is very small.
The rooms are smallish but, hey! this is Paris.
Limited TV - you're in Paris, Jack. What are you doing watching TV?

By the way - when we were there, they were selected for the Best Choice Hotel in Europe award. Well deserved, I'd say.

Would I go back again? If I could get the right price, in a heartbeat. What a difference from the Quality Inns/Comfort Inns/Sleep Inns in the States.

Last edited by BigLar; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:56 am Reason: Forgot to mention the beds!