FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:19 am
mzmerlin

Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer

I'm new to the somewhat frequent flyer club. I've logged 3 cross country jaunts this year for weddings and am looking at more in the next few years.

My perimeters:
* Minimum 6 round trips from PDX to DCA or IAD for business. Non stops preferred.
* Will most likely have to check at least 1 bag each way
* Desire the most efficient/least exhausting trip door to door. I will be driving 2.5 hours to get to the PDX airport and leaving my car in extended parking or with a friend in Portland.

Have I chosen the best Airlines for my needs?
Through my research its seems that united/continental seem to have the most schedules on this route. Southwest also does the route but their best connection times for east are 6.5 hours and going westbound about 8. This seriously eats into my time on the ground, as does renting the car in BWI instead of VA, most of my friends and places to stay will be in VA.

I also intend to travel a few times a year for pleasure, though these trips are not guaranteed.

The second question becomes -
A) Is is better to have a free bag and priority boarding and have United really like me? Or B)Is it best to have the option to maximize my point earning potential by having the Sapphire & Freedom card combo.
Maximizing points seems like a lot of work for a novice like me but I think I could swing it. Note: I will have to check luggage, I am a hair stylist and will be traveling with shears. It may be that having a second set of shears in DC so not as to not have to check bags is better option, that would run me about $450 - one time cost. I will probably be living a bi-coastal life for at least 2 years.

Would love thoughts from the expert travelers out there.. this is all new to me. Better to be able to accrue the most points or have the preferential treatment?

In the chase scenario: My current credit is good 703-725 depending on which agency you ask. I think I will get approved for any card but have seen that is is good to wait at least 3 months before applying for a second card.

Thanks in advance for your help!