FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Wailea or Marriott Wailea
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:20 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Hawaii Guide
Hi Tony10,

Thanks for your email. I just wanted to clarify that I was responding to the question comparing the Grand Wailea to the Marriott. One is a 5 star property and the other is a 4 star. I do like the Marriott. But I believe it's important to find the right match for the traveler. On a luxury level, I think it's hard to say the Marriott is more luxurious than the Grand Wailea.

But the great things about forums is people can openly share their thoughts and opinions. All I'm offering is an opinion. I think most people will read all the comments (including your thoughts) and draw their own conclusions.

As for my background, I used to live in Hawaii. Within the last year I've visited 90% of the 4 and 5 star hotels throughout the islands. There have been so many recent renovations that a soft refurb a few years ago will appear a little dated compared to a property that just went through one.

Jim Bendt - Owner - Travel Beyond
I agree with Jim on this one..

The Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea is simply, a 5 star hotel.. upper end accomodations.. compared to the Mariott.. but jmho