FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loudy Loudersons
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:27 pm
patriciamartin1954

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Turn around and say, "Excuse me, but it's nighttime and I can still hear your conversation through my noise-canceling headphones & music. Would you mind talking in quieter voices? I would appreciate it." If the lights are off, you can add, "the lights are off and some of us are trying to rest."

I've gotten past the whole passive-aggressiveness and just ask people straight up what I want. This worked on a 9:30pm LAX-JFK flight. Besides, you won't see them ever again after you leave the airport, so who cares what their reaction is? And you never know if there are other passengers who are bothered by it as well but don't want to say anything ... you'll be a hero in their eyes.
I agree. Sometimes you have to speak up. I approached a cell-phone VERY LOUD TALKER in the MSP SC last week ... just motioned to him to "shuttee please" and he immediately picked up and moved away to another area, and the people in the lounge area seemed relieved and said "thank you". Why suffer?? Loud talkers usually are oblivious. They need a nudge. Oblige them.