FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First time in Hawaii - where to?
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:50 pm
Hawaii Guide

Family Travel to Hawaii

Hi ranshe,

I travel to Hawaii every year with my kids (ages 5/9). Hawaii is a great place for families. You'll love it. If you haven't been to Hawaii before each island is very different. I'd suggest visiting the Hawaii Tourism site; GoHawaii.com. They do a great job explaining the differences.

Given your kids are younger I'm guessing you probably won't be straying too far from the resort. I've found a great beach, pool and a condo/villa with a kitchen can really make the trip.

Here are the family friendly hotels/resorts on each island:

Kauai:
Westin Villas - New concept resort in Hawaii. You can rent studio/one bedroom villas with kitchen and washer dryer. Great network of pools. They also offer grocery service.

Sheraton Kauai - Only hotel located right on Poipu Beach. Gentle surf perfect for kids. There are only a few beaches on Kauai that I'd recommend for kids. This island is more about scenic beauty and a laid back vacation. If you want beaches, Maui has the most with over 80 beaches.

Oahu:
Aulani - Disney service done in an authentic Hawaiian way
Kahala - They have dolphins and green sea turtles right on the property. You can pay a little extra for a dolphin encounter where you get in the water with them.
Outrigger Reef - located in Waikiki. Completely renovated and a great value right on the beach.

Maui:
Westin Villas - New concept resort in Hawaii. You can rent studio/one bedroom villas with kitchen and washer dryer. Great network of pools. They also offer grocery service.

Grand Wailea - incredible network of pools. They also have an elevator that is pushed up by water. Very cool!

Big Island
Marriott - has a nice protected sand beach perfect for kids Not all hotels on the Big Island have a beach. You'll want to ask that question before booking. A lot of ocean front isn't friendly for kids or swimming.

Hilton Waikoloa Village - Huge network of lagoons perfect for snorkeling. They have a Dolphin Qwest program on property where you can see the Dolphins and pay extra to interact with them. This is a big property with a lot to explore. It has a tram and water ferry to take you around the property.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Jim - owner - Travel Beyond