FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GIG-LAX Award ticket advise please! (over New Years)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:58 pm
fly747first
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Hi Everyone

Trying to book 2 award seats in Biz or First Class from Rio to Los Angeles on Sunday Jan 8 (after new years). Obviously at the saver level.

Been searching CO.com and ExpertFlyer for months trying many routings through GRU, IAD, ORD, IAH and even Air Canada thru Toronto and TAM thru NYC and MIA. No luck.

All the Star Alliances airlines just seem to not release any Biz or First class seats out of Brasil for the first 3 weeks of January as it is so popular I guess after New Years. PErhaps something will open up as we get closer?

Any advice.... as for routings / airlines to score 2 seats?

I am Prem Exec now but will become 1K on Dec 28th, 2011 exactly 11 days before I am due to fly.... so perhaps I can wait list for a route (GIG-IAH-LAX on CO) and my IK status will help me clear closer to travel date?

Also have a lot of BA and AA miles and been searching for LAN or AA space but nothing there either! (AA would be a one stio through JFK, MIA or DFW) but LAN would have to go through Sao Paulo, then Lima then Santiago then LA - so less than ideal.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Korean Air has First Class avail on Jan 7 - GRU-LAX nonstop - but I'd need 140,000 miles (70k each one way) and I only have 65,000 Chase which I could transfer to Korean.

So many options - none quite working.....!
JJ (TAM) sometimes releases 2 J award seats on routes such as MIA-GIG/GRU but seldom releases any F awards.

Also, CO does release some J award inventory on the EWR-GRU route but you will be on a 767-400 with pretty crappy J seats.

I would not waste my miles on UA F. The 777s flying to Brasil have the old F seats and many are in bad shape.