FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:30 pm
bowdenj

Your blood type is: O+
Last Donation: Date: 10/12/2011
Type: Whole Blood
Last Cholesterol: 192
Year to Date:
Credits: 4
Gallons: 4/8 th(s)
Lifetime to Date:
Donations: 31
Gallons: 3 & 7/8 th(s)
Eligibility:
Whole Blood: 12/07/2011
Double Red Cells:12/07/2011
Platelets: NOW

Interesting discussion at the donation center - I mentioned that usually the blood center calls when I'm this long overdue for donation. The staff mentioned that when there is an infant blood requirement then they will call if I am within donation time period. CMV-

So I looked it up:

CMV (Cytomegalovirus) CMV is a complex flu-like virus that most adults are exposed to at sometime in their lives. It is a double stranded DNA virus belonging to the herpes virus family.

.... However, in the case of low birth weight infants the consequences of such infection may be severe or even fatal. Because the immune systems in these infants are not fully developed, every precaution must be taken to avoid infection. Scientific studies have shown blood lacking this virus (CMV negative blood) is safer for pediatric patients. Therefore, hospitals prefer to use CMV negative pediatric units to ensure the safety of blood transfusions to newborns.

... In the U.S., between 50-85% of adults will contract CMV by the time they reach the age of 40.