FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More SFO / San Francisco cuts: AA closes pilot base
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:07 pm
demkr

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
at what point to the SFO people just plain realize AA isn't coming back there and move their business to wherever they think the grass is greener?
Most of us have realized it, hence the immense success SFO's hub carrier is having. That doesn't mean, however, that a member of the board can't post any news regarding SFO or the crew base whatsoever. When news happens related to AA, people are going to post it-whether it has to do with the San Francisco Bay Area or not.

What's getting redundant is the usual complaints we have every single time the market is mentioned-as if some would advocate a ban on mentioning any news related to it whatsoever. really.

Originally Posted by Xero
And the benefit of flying SFO-LAX-wherever means that I'll trump anyone originating in LAX for upgrades.
This is one thing that I loved about connecting on AA anywhere-it'd be an extremely rare occurrence for me not to be #1 on any upgrade list when I am waitlisted the day of departure. That being said, it'd be nice if Bay Area flyers would not have to fly out of SJC to take a morning connection out of LAX. I believe there are no flights earlier than 7am still and still only 6 a day to LAX.

--

We know that every decision AA has made so far has been beneficial to the company and to its customers, that's why they're posting record profits! <sarcasm>

Since switching to United/Continental and becoming a 1K/Plat, I noticed that from a frequent flyer standpoint I preferred being an EXP.

UA's route network, which blows AA's out of the water in the Bay Area and almost every where else, is of course, another story. And I've been greatly satisfied with on-time departures/arrivals (of which UA has bested AA in time and time again)-and a convenient schedule across the country.

So, I'm as satisfied as I can be with UA now, but AA's continuation of route cuts and deterioration of a convenient schedule makes it impossible for me to fly them. It would maybe be a different story if the network had stayed the same as it was 2 years ago.

Like I said, the cuts hit home when you're trying to fly between two major cities (SFO and MSP)--and a major storm in DFW cancels your SFO-ORD segment--and AA tells you that due to the planes being 100% full, they can't get you to Minn. for 3 days and tough luck-where as on virtually every other airline, all the other flights were open. Cancelled it out, and purchased an F class ticket on DL. That's when you know it's time to go-the deteriorated network leaves little room for IRROPS and I don't want to be constantly on-edge with AA's proactive cancellations and stingyness on rebooking and compensation.

Bottom line in my view:
AA = below average airline (in terms of planes, IFE, on-time issues, customer experience) with a world class FFP for its top tier elites.

UA = fantastic airline (superior route network even in non-hubs, E+, chan 9, DTV w/ CO, on-time) with an OK FFP that focuses a bit more on high rev.