FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More SFO / San Francisco cuts: AA closes pilot base
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:15 pm
Jacobin777

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't think AA flies nonstop from SFO to AUS.
I see what happened. AA's timetable showed it as nonstop but when I hit the "add flight information to trip planner" button, it comes up at 5 hours and 25 minutes. That's indeed not a nonstop flight. It also does have a "1-stop" as well.

Kind of strange though as it doesn't give a connection city..

Originally Posted by lbbzman
According to the current AA PDF timetable, even SFO-AUS isn't nonstop. To answer your question, I don't see any nonstop AA-operated flights from SFO to anything other than a hub or 'cornerstone' city.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Yah, thanks. That's what I thought. So its only the "cornerstone" cities anyway.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
You can deny it all you want now, but there have been posts in the past praising SFO crews and their service (specifically regarding the now discontinued SFO-HNL route) and its clear the locals have a sense of pride in their local base and valued it somewhat. Although the DOMESTIC FA base closure has not been announced its looking increasingly likely following this announcement. Again, you can spin things however you want but it doesn't change the facts. Administrative support positions are eliminated; perhaps there is a small office in the airport housing the base that will close. Commuting crews have "crashpads" in their base city that they now no longer need, fewer crews will spend money at the airport concessions.
I'm a Bay Area "local". Never noticed who were local and who weren't. Yesterday my flight had a Chicago-based pilot crew and some other location based F/A crew. Last Saturday, my flight had a LAX-based crew. No problems again.

Last edited by Jacobin777; Oct 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm