FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:56 pm
divemistressofthedark

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Don't forget Hilton's Facebook feed...just read a good one over there.

Hilton recently announced a policy where HHonors members can exchange points for premium rooms at resorts like this new property. Unfortunately, what they didn't tell we Diamond members is that some properties, including many resorts, now have no standard rooms bookable on points - only premium rooms, which cost hundreds of thousands of points more than the standard bookings (two that are now a factor of ten more expensive are Bora Bora Nui Hilton Resort, also Hilton Moorea Lagoon and Spa.) You'll need close to a million HHonors points to book a week at one of these properties. That'll be slow going, considering your maximum earn as a Diamond is 29.5 HH points to the dollar (this includes the 9:1 ratio you earn on the Hilton Surpass credit card).

It's too bad Hilton chose to sneak in this detail in the dark of night rather than being upfront with its HHonors members about it (the trouble cropped up when people on the Flyertalk message board went to book rooms only to find all the standard awards had been removed. Some people had been saving points to plan honeymoons, etc. and had not been warned of this change in advance - a real slap in the face to what should be Hilton's most valued customers, in my opinion.)

There was discussion this might have been an error but it has now been confirmed as Hilton's new official policy. More info here: http://bit.ly/r7N8pt

Right now the problem appears to be isolated to resorts, but this decimates the real stars of the HHonors program: the GLON and AXON awards (under which HHonors members can book stays for a discounted amount of points - Google to find out what those words mean.) Personally, I expect the problem to spread, as Hilton hasn't confirmed the new "standard room blackout" is confined to resorts - I expect to run into this problem in London and Hawaii soon.

I recently re-qualified as a Hilton Diamond, but this will likely be my last year with the program. I'd urge those of you upset by this change to contact Hilton's corporate HQ:

7930 Jones Branch Dr., Ste. 1100
Mclean, VA 22102
Phone: 703-883-1000
http://www.facebook.com/hilton

I'm sure they'll delete the above ASAP, so others need to post remarks to be sure something's always showing there about this issue.