FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Budget required to honor a quoted web site rate?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:40 pm
PhoenixRev

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Cygnet
This has probably been asked before (did a quick search of the forum, but couldn't find a direct answer), so sorry for asking again, but is there any requirement that Budget honor a "confirmed" rate reserved through their web site?

I just booked an intermediate out of LAS for next wk at the base rate of $15 for the whole wk, final total of $58 w/taxes+fees-Costco discount. That's not per day, but for the entire rental! Other models (i.e. economy) on the same page were running $142+ base for the same period. Obviously, this is an incredible rate...so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Don't want to get to Vegas and have the agent say my rate is really 10x or more higher.

Yes, I have a confirmation hardcopy and an email acknowledgement showing the low rate. And yeah, I'll probably book a backup with another company, just in case, and will keep checking to see if Budget changes the rate on my res. But it would be nice to know if I just got an early jackpot, or if the Vegas mob runs Budget, and I've just been suckered...
Sorry. They will stop you cold and change the rate.

This happened to me in June at LAS as well. I got a five day rental for about $50 plus taxes and fees with a Costco discount for an intermediate. I called the 800 number three times to confirm because the rate was so unbelievable, and was assured every single time that the rate was valid and sometimes they have fire sales to move inventory and bring in some cash.

I printed everything out and had it in my book bag ready for anything.

As I was on the shuttle from LAS to the car rental facility about two miles away, my cell phone rang and it was some low level employee telling me that there had been a programming mistake and that the rate should have been about $145 for the five days plus taxes and fees. I said I would get to the counter and discuss.

I got to the counter, showed all the paperwork and was told flat out that it wasn't their problem, there was a computer mistake, and I had to pay for it. I asked for a manager who refused to come out and discuss it with me so I was ready to walk before a supervisor came over to give me an acceptable rate of about $90 for the five days plus taxes and fees. I even quoted the part from the website about honoring the confirmed rate and they gave me some song and dance about how they were not a corporate location, but a licensee and they called the shots (which is why they also do a $300 hold instead of a $200 hold on your credit card if your total rate is below that).

Your print outs will be meaningless if they catch the glitch. You might be lucky and get it, but I wouldn't count on it.

I filed a complaint when I got home and got a $25 same-as-cash certificate, but I know I will never rent from budget again at LAS.