FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA's Financial Health - default risk spreads imply 30+% bankruptcy possibility
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:13 am
oscietra

Originally Posted by raino144
But if you are sat on a mileage balance in the hundreds of thousands maybe you need to think about using them - mileage balances would most likely get wiped out in the case of any bankruptcy....

Edit: BA are sat on a large cash pile and are in no immediate danger at all. Having thought about it some more, the CDS default probabilities probably read as much into the general panic in the markets than anything BA specific!
Quite right; there's no danger of BA (actually IAG, not BA) going bankrupt imminently, though they did come close very recently.

It's never sensible to hold more miles than you can reasonably use in two years typical travelling.

And I don't think mileage balances would be wiped out; not sure of the exact structure, but I think avios might be separate firm from BA - but not sure about that.

What happened when Swiss went bankrupt?

I think the title of this thread is highly misleading and subjective. Plenty of firm will have a 30% risk of bankruptcy; I don't even take my brolly with me if there's a 30% chance of rain.