FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do TB member get any undisclosed perks from IB or travel companies?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If UA or AA would grant me top-tier status for being on TalkBoard, would I be less likely to vote to close their forum? This is of course a purely hypothetical question, although I suppose I can dream. The answer is No: 0-0=0.

TB members, moderator, and FT members alike are not for sale. We are opinionated SOBs. While we normally state our opinions politely, those opinions are honest and based on what the company offers to the public.

Anyone who has followed the Southwest forum over the past two years will tell you that regulars have become disenchanted with that company. We would remain so even if Southwest tried to buy us off without offering the same deal to all customers.

I have attended one in-person TB meeting, and I don't recall receiving anything other than hearty thanks from IB. I was happy to have had the opportunity, and I know it benefited the membership. I presented an outline of the forum creation guidelines at that meeting, and now we have a process that is making it simpler than ever to create a new forum when needed.

Should IB pay expenses for meetings of TB? Maybe, but that's their call. Should they then make that information public? I would, but again, it's their call. Should IB pay for people's time to attend? Not in my opinion, as if that would ever happen. FTers love to talk and we'll do it for free. In short, this thread is much ado about nothing.