FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX->AA @ LAX
Thread: CX->AA @ LAX
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:24 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
The minimum CX-AA Int'l-Dom connection time at LAX is 120 min., and based on my experience it is sufficient. Since OP is travelling in J and can get off before Y PAX, I would consider 2 hours to be enough.
Perfect example was two days' ago CX882...I was on it, and it was another LAX disaster. 120 minutes would have been very close - there's a legitimate chance you would'ved missed your connection.

We (were) pulled onto the gate, but as the seatbelt sign came off the pilot announced we'd have to wait an additional 10 minutes on board due to "excessive crowding in the immigration facilities". Wonderful. Once we deplaned 10 minutes later, sure enough the immigration facility was PACKED...moreso than I've ever seen. The line for US citizens was stretched to immigration queue #17 or 18, which is at least 75 meters from where US citizens actually go into a more proper line with ropes (usually around #5 or 6). It took me about 45 minutes to clear immigration as a US citizen (I was travelling in F), I pity those who didn't have a US passport or were in Y. Then, after immigration there was the typical wrap-around-the-carousel customs line that added another 10 minutes.

All in, it took me just under 75 minutes from the onboard "immigration facility delay" to when I was clear of customs.

I know some people on here speak of good luck with LAX....but I haven't seen it, arriving many times both this year and in years previous on 880 and 882. If I were connecting in the US I wouldn't risk it with a 120 minute connection or less at LAX. Personally I have a much higher incidence of immigration/customs waits in excess of 30 minutes LAX than with SFO or JFK.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 2, 2011 at 8:30 am