FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:59 pm
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes

Originally Posted by eltdog
As a 1MM, it would have been nice if United gave all of us Premier Platinum status for life.

Since it was so hard to achieve this when only counting actual paid flying miles, now we are only going to get Premier Gold after the one-time calculation and merger. 50% bonus miles and stuck behind GS, 1K and Platinum.
yes, that would have been nice, but in this case with COOP and UAMP, it would have meant a DOUBLE upgrade of 1MM status for the COOP flyer, who was till now (till next year actually) a SILVER. UAMP was always gold and I guess we can only be thankful that will will CONTINUE to be GOLD. Platinum would have been nice for UAMP members in the new world order - but it would have been a huge escalation of benefits for the legacy COOP flyer.

@5khours

"I don't think the MM benefits (especially the higher tiers) cost the airlines much. IMHO, I think the MM programs are really important because they signal to the customers whether the airlines are being run by bean counters (e.g. DL) or whether there is a real sense of appreciation by the airlines for the loyalty of their customers"

As for "cost the airlines" I don't think there is much cost outlay, but there is a cost BENEFIT in the new world order. By making upgrade seating and free CR1 RPU available to the 1MM+ flyer (which are now gone) that is a very highly possible lost revenue from the lower status flyer who is "paying" with MILES and or MILES AND MONEY or MONEY. By leveling this playing field I think the the new UACOMP is going for MORE REVENUE or for LIABILITY REDUCTIONS and will get it from all flyers.

The lower end flyers will pay up with miles and miles and money and money. the 1MM+ flyer, based on the new upgrade process and clearing will PAY with MILES to guarantee an upgrade. While this doesn't present NEW revenue to the airline and loyalty program it DOES present a reduction in balance sheet liabilities - which is NEARLY as good.

Till now, they weren't really getting any incrementa revenue for upgrades from the 1MM flyer who only flew a few times a year, but NOW they WILL get revenue in the form of a reduced liability.