FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:56 pm
umafuaba

Originally Posted by Executrip
Choose the Hawaiian Airlines' flight regardless of time.
On your return to the Mainland...120 min connection time is ideal...90 mins minimum.
It is different on the inbound from the Mainland...as if there is a delay from the Mainland( often happens)...there are usually many Inter-island flight options.....Not the case when returning to the Mainland.
So, are the other HA flights soldout?? HA 304 arriving HNL 1030...or HA 514 arriving 1124?
The direct walk from the Inter-island terminal takes roughly 20 mins. The Delta gates are a little closer than say...United...so you have a slight advantage there.
Keep in mind that Delta flight will start boarding 30 -40 mins prior to departure...and if folks aren't checked in and present...the standbys are clicking their heels. So don't leave it too tight.
Is this 90 minute minimum the absolute minimum? I've got an 8:10 am AA flight from HNL to LAX already booked. I'm trying to decide between the following flights from OGG to HNL:

HA 105: 6:54 am arrival (76 minute layover)

or

Flying OGG to HNL the night before to not risk missing my HNL-LAX flight due to delays.