FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:35 am
RobertLHR

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DCguy20036
This is fantastic news for United flyers. I have been silver or gold (mostly gold) nearly every year in which I have earned my 820,000 miles. As I understand this, I will immediately be around 1.5 million miles, plus the 100,000 Continental lifetime miles that I have. I'm also happy about the addition of a United Platinum level at 75,000 since I ALWAYS seem to be stuck in the purgatory between 75,000 and 100,000 miles. Since the 2 million miler lifetime membership to United Red Carpet Club ("United Club" as of this Saturday, October 1, 2011) has evaporated (since the number of million mile flyers will go through the roof overnight once everyone's miles are recalculated), I also bit the bullet and bought a lifetime membership to the Continental President's Club before the deadline of this Friday (see my separate post). First I linked my UA and CO statuses, giving me GOLD on CO.

Maybe I am just an optimist, but almost all of these changes look great to me (other than the fact that *A Gold will now only get 50% bonus redemtion miles now, Platinum 75% and 1k 100%).
I agree with DCguy20036 about the positive side of the changes, but I am not anything like as optimistic about the likely step-up in my UA miles from the EQM adjustment, mainly because I almost always fly on an Economy fare.
I have flown mainly on UA for the last ten years, and I am now at 720,000 lifetime miles with UA. I was looking at another 5 plus years to make Million Miler with UA, but I also had 1,185,000 lifetime miles on CO, most of which were earned in the 1980's. Suddenly, I will be at 1,905,000 combined lifetime miles with the prospect of a few more miles from the UA EQM adjustment.
The million lifetime miles on CO got me lifetime Silver, which didn't do anything for me at all, but the combination will put me at lifetime Gold and possibly lifetime Platinum. At the very least, I will make lifetime Platinum in 2012. Overall, it is the best I could possibly have hoped for from the merger.