FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:50 pm
rtaheri

Originally Posted by wifiguru
Hey all,

Will be in Ireland at the end of October for about 5 days.

I saw the post in this thread listing prepaid providers in Ireland, but it is over a year old now -- was wondering if things have changed?

Three Ireland looks like a provider of choice for mobile data (that's all I will really need for my HTC Sensation, unlocked)

Can I pick up a SIM (I am a US Citizen) at the Dublin Airport?

Can I still pay in cash?

I will need about 1GB of data, is Vodafone a better choice?

Thanks!
We just got back from Ireland. I wasn't able to find a data (micro) SIM card at the Dublin airport, nor at Heathrow or the Arlanda airport in Stockholm. In all 3 cases, we had to go into the city and visit a store that is operated by a top tier carrier, or at least is a major reseller for them, to get the SIM cards. If you need a regular SIM card rather than a micro SIM card, you may have better luck.

In Ireland, we got Meteor SIM cards, as recommended by several posts on various forums. We were quite happy with the speed, coverage, and the price. I think it was something like 20 Euros. Yes, you can pay cash, and they don't ask for residence info, etc.

Many of these stores close at 6pm, and are hard to find in smaller towns. So you have to find your way into the city in time. And getting the SIM card, programming it, etc. might take 15-30 minutes in the store. But well worth it!

Reza