FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do we call them "disAAdvantage Miles" starting December 1, 2011?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerChrisK

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
While AA did make it harder to achieve million miler status, it's hard to be especially angry about their decision. Between BankDirect, credit card bonuses, and elite bonuses, it was especially easy to hit the million mile thresholds with AA. United has had far more stringent MM thresholds (entirely BIS on UA metal, with the exception of doing a revision according to historical EQM to bring things on par with CO's EQM-based MM policy). Even with AA's new policy, you'll be able to continue to fly partner airlines.

This is orthogonal to any award chart/availability changes. They're call SkyPesos because of the difficulty to use them for high-value awards; as someone eyeing a RTW trip next year on AA miles, I'm not having any problem plotting my trip without heroic efforts.

Additionally, it's important to note that these changes have been long in the works. There were posts on FlyerTalk no later than April that bonus miles would stop counting. Contrast this with Delta's sudden shift to eliminate changes <72 hours out on awards.

That said, if you feel your AAdvantage miles are worthless, please us know. I'm sure I can find a reward trip that will put your useless miles to good use.