FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Passport Renewal at a Consulate or Embassy
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:38 pm
König

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I'm a US citizen that currently lives in Canada and need to have my passport renewed.
The Department of State website says that they can mail new passports to the USA and Canada. Thus, I think they should accept the renewal applications from Canada as well. However, you would be better of trying to do it through a consulate (if possible) because you will receive your passport much quicker than mailing it directly to passport centres in the USA. Here is the quote from http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html:
Originally Posted by Dept of State
U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.

U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82: Application for U.S. Passport by Mail to the address listed on the form.

Or did they let you keep your current passport and just "revoke" it once your new passport came in (so as to allow you to still travel internationally and/or have proof of US citizenship in your host country while your passport renewal application was being processed)?
They take the passport, so you will be without one maximum for a week or so. The good thing about Canada is that they don't ask about citizenship at every corner, and you would be perfectly fine just with your driving licence.