FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:47 pm
NJUPINTHEAIR
Suspended

tangey;17142311

I look at every site I could to do a price match when I was doing some bookings a while back. They word their t&c really carefully, and although I found many cheaper ways of booking ich hotels than via ich website, every one of them would get killed by the t&c

1) no voucher codes. Many booking sites have widely known 10% type codes. Which when used give you a cheaper price.
I know of no guarantee from any company that permits sites using vouchers -- this is not a deal killer.

tangey;17142311

2) match nightly rates not total price. Many of the sites have rates that are more expensive, but strangely the tax component is a lot cheaper than the 12% you would expect, meaning the overall price is cheaper, but ich will not price match it.

However, IHG makes clear that the base rate must be lower and the overall rate with taxes must be lower.

See:

•For purposes of the Guarantee, “price” or "rate" does not include any taxes (unless otherwise noted), tariffs or fees imposed by any governmental authority (e.g., federal, state or local) on either IHG or the guest for the duration of the guest's occupancy. Rates being compared to determine if the Guarantee applies must both either be with taxes included, or without taxes included.
EMPHASIS ADDED

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...ate/lowtc.html

Again, most sites look at base rate, not total rate and those that have discrepancies are few -- this is not a deal killer, either.

However, small discrepancies will not win a free night!!!!!

See:

The price difference between IHG’s website and a competing website, when comparing the same currencies, must be at least $1 per night in order to qualify for the Guarantee. If the price difference involves comparing two different currencies, then the price difference must be at least $5 per night to qualify for the Guarantee.. IHG uses OANDA® currency converter when verifying currency differences.
EMPHASIS ADDED

The above is a departure from the Marriott, SPG and Hyatt BRG.

tangey;17142311

3) some sites have a good cheaper rates, but never have a non-refundable rate.
Actually, the killer for me is that you must book a non-refundable rate if it is the lowest rate on IHG. Marriott and SPG and Hyatt will permit one booking a higher rate that is refundable and then comparing that rate to other websites.

Apparently that is not permitted for the IHG guarantee if the non-refundbale rate is the lowest rate on IHG.com:

Guest must book the lowest available price on the “Best Available Rate” search - for the same hotel, the same type of accommodations, the same number of guests, and the same dates - in order to qualify for the Guarantee.
EMPHASIS ADDED

The above is a departure from standard norms and will likely result in my not utilizing this much as I generally do not like to book non-refundable rates and then wait for a thumbs up/down from the judge because if you do not win, you are stuck with the room.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Sep 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm