FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [2010-12 Posts]
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:40 am
mrswirl

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I am currently sitting at only 52K EQM/66 EQS for the year so I have 1P locked in. I've mapped out a strategy for 1K involving a few transcon MRs and a possible work trip to SYD in Nov but now I'm thinking it might be better just to go for the new 75K tier based on the rumored upcoming changes.

SWU's are meaningless to me...can't use 'em when I need to and 95% of my flying is domestic anyway. The new 120 segment rule really sucks IMHO.

I really enjoy UDU however and I love going to the top of the list for standby and IRROPs. The flexibility I'm awarded as a 1K is probably its greatest benefit to me.

My biggest concern about not making 1K for next year is UDU percentage will drop to pretty much zero and I'll be stuck behind all the 1Ks for standbys. I've spent the majority of my flying career as 1P so I know all too well that it really doesn't mean that much compared to being 1K. I'm wondering if the new 1P+ will be different.

Has anybody done a comparison of the new 1P+ vs. 1K for domestic segment flyers? (based on what we've heard so far, that is...).