FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:30 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
OK, that works @:-).
Oh... maybe not... that row is reserved for elites...
And you're going to have to compete with at least four ANC-based elites for one of those six seats.

I too will wan't to use points in ANC.
Looks like no SPG C+P, but 7K points will have to do.
So Jun 21-22 and 24-25 booked at Sheraton.
Excellent. That's why I chose to maximize the number of overnights in ANC. IIRC, there's no SPG properties in FAI, so that will be a bit more of a challenge, but we only have one night there. (My original itinerary had two nights in FAI.)

Oh, nevermind--you're not joining us for the FAI portion. But my comment still stands for others.

... the OME Aurora looks like $150++,
are the other dubious choices much cheaper ?
TripAdvisor makes them sound "interesting".
Can't seem to bring up rates online, no surprise !!:-:
The word is that the Aurora is the superior of the options in OME. Those who stay at the Nugget seem to regret it. I would be surprised if they're significantly cheaper than the Aurora; not only is this rural Alaska, this is Alaska in the summertime. Availability is scarce--and they know it.

I called the Aurora to ask about a [discounted] room block (and rental vans) on Thursday, and the front desk agent told me that group deals are typically handled by the assistant manager and the best way to deal with that was by email. I dispatched an email Thursday night but have not yet heard back. I will update as soon as I can.

This would be a good destination to consider buddying up with a friendly-sounding FTer and splitting a room.

Last edited by jackal; Sep 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm