FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Pine Cliffs and Pine Cliff Residence, Albufeira, Portugal [Master Thread]
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:35 am
Oxon Flyer
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It's always interesting to read reviews from someone who was co-staying, so since I was here with my family at the same time, some observations :

Originally Posted by habshabs444
He also requested which paper we would like to have delivered to our room on a daily basis that I noted he had written down. Needless to say by day 3, we had yet to receive the daily paper so I enquired at the front desk where it was noted again, however, throughout my entire stay not one paper was received.
Agreed. The offer of a complimentary newspaper is new this season, I was offered this too, but it only appeared 3 days out of the 7. They need to improve.

The front desk clerk indicated it was an upgrade, however, other than an ocean view on the 2nd flr (room 190 something), the room appeared to be of the standard room type.
Ocean view rooms command a substantial price premium so are a good upgrade, particulaly in high season when the hotel is full. FWIW, I didn't get an upgrade.

We dined at both restaurants directly outside the gates, however, their names escape me. They are both owned by the same people and both had very tasty and fresh offerings
'O Antonio' is one, good food, good service and good value. I guess you were on the next table.

The towel card thing was a little annoying
The beach club is on a public beach. Towel cards are a perfectly sensible way to ensure towels and sunbeds are only given to hotel guests.

Pools - Two large pools, but we didn't really use them as they were always packed with kids running around and parents not paying much attention to them
I was one of the parents. The pools were never, ever 'packed' : there was always plenty of room, and I didn't witness any unduly disruptive behaviour by any of the kids.
The third pool, on the ledge above the main pool, is always quieter.

One night they also had a managers reception overlooking the cliffs for an hour or two with appetizers and champagne. There were numerous staff roaming around asking guests about their opinions of the resort etc. I'm not sure if we appeared much younger than everyone else and thus our opinions were unimportant (we are in our early 30s), but no one approached us.
The managers reception is a very pleasant, informal occasion, where you can chill out and relax and just enjoy the view from the headland sundeck and maybe chat to a few of your fellow guests while quaffing plentiful quantities of their rather nice champagne, not a feedback-gathering session. As it happens, I grabbed the GM as he was passing and had a chat about all the work they've done to fix the sand erosion problems on the beach.... Sorry if I detained him too long.

As for whether staying at the Sheraton or the Residences, the Residences are very spread out throughout the resort and having to rely on the train shuttle day after day would be a huge headache
I've never bothered with the train. Ther resort isn't that big. From the hotel to, say, the O Grill in the heart of the Residences area : 10 minutes stroll

Service was lacking
I guess we have different views of service. I don't really expect anyone to second-guess my taxi requirements. I've stayed here serveral times, and have always found the service here, be it reception, housekeping, breakfast, dinner, whatever, to be of a high standard and nicely understated.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 5, 2011 at 6:00 am