FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best hotel in Montreal
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:33 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nba1017
Haven't been to Montreal since 2009, and was wondering if the opinions expressed here still stand.

Currently I"m booked at the Place d'Armes in a Balcony Junior Suite. I've stayed in the 'Penthouse' suites, which are great; anyone have firsthand experience in the balcony suites? Place d'Armes has the advantage of great location, excellent bathrooms, and balconies.

The Saint Sulpice has the same location and balconies, but from what I've been able to find online, the bathrooms look very pedestrian. Again, any thoughts?

Finally, anywhere else I ought to consider? St James is nearly sold out and a bit too formal anyway, and the Hotel Vogue, though the only other FHR hotel, looks tacky and a bit impersonal. Nelligan, Gault, and Le Crystal are a bit too cutting-edge for us. Sofitel, W, Marriott and IC all seem fine but boring.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I ended up saying in a Club Room at the IC this time - in part because there was a priority club offer for free ambassador status with 3 nights stay. The lounge was good - the chap running it was excellent, despite it not being his regular job (he is a concierge but someone was off sick / holiday). We really enjoyed it - the room was very modern, clean (it had a renno recently I believe), the lounge was pleasant, with plenty of choice of wines, spirits and beers in the evening for the cocktail hours, and the nibbles were substantial, good, and why I couldn't find something veggie, the chap went and had the chef make me my own plate of delicious grilled veggies. We ate breakfast in the main restaurant rather than the lounge, and it was pleasant, but fairly standard hotel breakfast fare. It was a short walk to the old part of the city where we went two of the three evenings, and right across from the metro which made it easy to get to places further afield. Front desk staff were professional and friendly, housekeeping were great and didn't mind at all requests for extra towels, conditioner etc. Only real disappointment was the pool, which is tiny and was freezing, but the sun deck was pleasant, and you could order 'room service' to the deck.