FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA AAdvantage vs UA / United MileagePlus - status, perks, pros, cons
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:07 pm
brahms77

Question What would you? - UA/CO/SA vs. AA/BA (1K & EXP)

Okay, a bit of dilemma here and I'd like your opinion on this.

I have a travel coming in October to CPT from YVR or SEA. Ticket prices are similar between UA/CO/SA combo vs. AA/BA combo to CPT (AA/BA is about 150 dollars more). Overall EQM are same since YVR-LAX-LHR-CPT routing is same for both options.

However, mileage earning (RDM) is higher with AA/BA combo since AA gives 100% bonus RDM for EXPs flying with BA. This difference is about 12K miles RDM.

Upgrade question is not issue since both fares are upgradable fares with EVIPs or UA SWUs.

I have been shifting most of my business to UA, but in regards to elite qualification, I am pretty much set for this year with UA (1K). I won't be able to requalify (no where close to EXP) with EXP this year (not even PLAT ).

As EXP, lounge options are much better @ LAX and LHR... that's a nice plus...

I am leaning towards AA/BA combo, but was wondering what you'd do if you were in my shoes (someone leaving AA for UA, but still have top tier status in both for the time being).