FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for second elite program recommendations
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:37 am
iflyjetz

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Looking for second elite program recommendations

Since I will now be able to coast to LT plat status, I'm starting to think about working on getting elite status with a second hotel program. I'm not happy with Marriott's stingy upgrade policy and would like to check out other programs.
Criteria in order of importance:
1) A large number of mid/upscale hotels in Europe (Italy, Spain, Greece), South America, Caribbean, and Australia
-Comparable to Ritz, JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, St Regis, Starwood Luxury Collection, Westin, W, Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza
2) Status match or challenge to top tier status
3) Free worldwide internet access for top tier elites.
4) Generous room/suite upgrades for top tier elites. (THIS IS BIG - first three criteria should be no-brainers)
5) Lounge access for top tier elites
6) Free breakfast for top tier elites
7) Amenity gift for top tier elites
8) Path to lifetime status
Note that points/miles don't matter to me.

To provide a bit more information, I retired from the military last fall and expect to be recalled to United/Continental next spring (pilot). As such, I will have to pay for a hotel room 4-6 one night stays/month in whichever hub city that I get based in - right now it'll probably be either Newark or Houston but am hoping to get to LA in fairly short order. We live in Tucson. I don't care if the hotels in those cities are on the low end of the hotel's offerings but I want the option of staying at upscale places when I vacation overseas with my wife.
Potential status match/challenge problem: I will only have ~20 nights for 2011. I will have ~285 nights this year but most of those are rollover nights. I will be looking for a status challenge/match approximately mid-2012. Yes, I know I'm early on this but I'd like to hear comments from fellow Marriott road warriors.

Going through the 10 largest worldwide chains (numbered largest to smallest).
Ones I've ruled out unless convinced otherwise:
1) Intercontinental - I like them but there doesn't seem to be many Intercontinental/Crowne Plaza locations in places that I can't find Marriott. A lot of their European hotels where no Marriotts are available are Holiday Inns. I don't see much benefit in having Holiday Inns available when I want something upscale. Ruling them out unless someone can make a decent case for Intercontinental.
2) Wyndham - Their loyalty program is a joke; no elite tiers to speak of so I doubt that there'd be many suite upgrades. Ruling them out.
5) Accor Group - Very little US penetration except Motel6/Studio6. Motel6/Studio6 do not participate in their loyalty program. Ruling them out.
6) Choice Hotels - Very thin upscale offerings. Ruling them out.
7) Best Western - I was surprised; it looks like they've got decent overseas offerings and they now have Best Western Premier domestically. Since they automatically match elite status (no questions asked), no need to 'work' on obtaining status so I've ruled them out as my next elite program. https://goldcrownclub.bestwestern.co...tatusmatch.asp I can get the status match if I need to stay at one of their properties in the future.
8) Starwood - Love 'em. I used to be plat with them (375 nights in 3 years) before going to Marriott and they don't offer a status match/challenge to former SPG plats. I'm not willing to slog it out from zero status. Ruling them out if they don't status challenge.
9) Carlson -Sounds like they're tight on the upgrades. Ruling them out unless convinced otherwise.

Finalists:
4) Hilton - Definitely a player. Anyone want to comment on upgrade percentages compared to Marriott?
10) Hyatt - I'd go with Hyatt hands down if they had more worldwide locations. Sounds like they upgrade diamonds frequently.

Any other program recommendations for mid/upscale overseas travel?

So what say ye, fellow FTers? I don't care about upgrades unless we're traveling on vacation. Looking at future vacations in Australia, Spain, Italy, Greece, Caribbean, South America. I want to have upscale properties available where Marriott does not cover.

Thanks in advance.