FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Foliage trip need advice
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:18 am
ENFO

Thanks for everyone's comments. Most appreciated!

@lo2e - Great link to foliage predictor, thanks. And we will try to be there after the Fryeburg Fair.

@cordelli - Yes, I saw the news about heavy flooding in VT and NH, some old covered bridges swept away, trees fallen and roads damaged. Not sure yet how this will affect fall tourism in NE but I suspect that it will take more than a month to clean up and that if we do go as planned we may run into unusual conditions due to Irene damage.

@mareh - Yes we do feel the urgency to book accommodations, hence all this panning for advice. I've been seeing some availability still, and most two night mandatory stays are reserved for weekends -thank goodness we have some flexibility.

@BearX220 - Thank you for your very helpful suggested routes! I wanted to save the bulk of my questions for you but anyone please feel free to chime in.

I've been able to focus a bit more on our needs thanks to all your comments.

First, we prefer to keep our car all the way back to NYC (we have other separate commitments in the Poconos, PA the following week), so I'll skip the return drive to Albany/ Amtrak.

Next, we are trying to stay 2 nights in one place at least. We have a 5 year old with us and feel that 4 overnights paired with car driving might be too much. To make this doable, we can save one night by skipping Burlington and the ferry, in favor of Kancamagus Highway. Although the rest of northern VT sounds beautiful, we will probably save it, incl NE Kingdom, for another trip as per mareh's suggestion. And so try to make the Kanc the northernmost part of the trip.

So based on your remaining suggestions, do you think we can drive from Albany straight to St Johnsbury or another town south of St J? Overnight there, then next day do the loop of 302 eastward and return on the Kanc on the way to Lebanon. OR can we drive to Lebanon instead and do said loop as a daytrip from Lebanon area, which will shorten our first day's drive and give us 2 nights in one place.

If either of the above is a good idea, what is the best route from Albany. Should we still go via Rutland? How to get from Rutland to Lebanon (or St J) and can you recommend anywhere else to stop south of St J so we won't be so far north. I believe this involves part time on 91 and need your feedback. And thanks for the rec to say off I-93.

And also keep in mind, we are not tied to Albany although I understand it's a pretty train trip - we can drive from NYC as well.

Then from Lebanon take route 100 as you suggested to spend final two nights in Lenox.

Now that you know our proposed route, now is the time for you and anyone else to suggest where to stop along the way! (Meals, rest stops, photo ops, etc)