FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:58 pm
Maui Time

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sent
The announcement had me thinking of ditching the million mile effort, but now this thread has me thinking I should try to up my balance before Dec. 1.

I'm sitting at almost 540K.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Chase the shopping portal aggressively for the miles they owe me for past purchases that never posted.
2) Use the shopping portal to buy nearly everything I possibly can to set up my office - computers, magazines, Drugstore.com, Staples, etc.
3) Open the Bank Direct checking - I have about 60K I can put in there right now maybe a bit more by October.
4) Suck up the hefty fee and go ahead and apply for the Citi Executive AAdvantage MC to replace my current AA Business Visa. Haven't read the thread yet to see if I will get the 25k "new cardholder" bonus, but I see some big spending next year as my business grows so it will help me get ahead. My husband will appreciate the Admiral's club. Hopefully I get approved for this card.
4a) Pay the convenience fee to pay taxes with an AA credit card before 12/1.
5) Sign up for Energy Plus for a few months.
6) Try to get a mileage run in by November for the PLT bonus
7) Take new clients out to lunches at Dining program restaurants.

There is also the 50K Fidelity bonus for those who have never held Fidelity accounts. I tried to get it, but unfortunately my past IRA accounts made me ineligible. I was getting ready to do this for my husband, but now I will wait until after December and use the money for myself at BankDirect. He has no hope of ever making LT Gold sitting on 200K right now.

I really really don't want to transfer SPG points.

You could transfer 100k of your husband's 200k.