FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:18 pm
seacarl

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by jeffery352
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've searched through the forum and can't find my exact situation.

I booked a ticket a good six weeks ago that has a return flight tomorrow, except now I need to stay here until Monday. Is it possible to do the "same day change" tomorrow AM and bump it back to Sunday, and then do it again on Sunday and bump it to Monday?

If not I'll just do the $150 change fee. (and not in the path of the hurricane, so no free changes on my radar).

Thank y'all!
My understanding is that if you are CO metal this is possible, if you are lucky that the necessary inventory buckets are available. That is a big if, because often CO only opens up the cheaper inventory buckets a few hours before a flight. But in theory if there is a wide-open flight 23 hours later, you can do a SDC to that, and the next day you can try another one.

It is not possible on UA because UA has only a 3-hour SDC window.

This is one area where it would be nice if UACO adopts the CO policies

Originally Posted by entrada
I have a question for those who have received a confirmed same day standby when used on line check in. The United policies make it seem that this is possible if you are within three hours of your requested standby flight. But I tried this yesterday. And although I was given the option using on-line check-in to standby for a different flight, there was no option to confirm the seat. I was given the standard depart management card for the standby flight and a boarding pass for my original flight. There were seats available on the flight I wanted to stand by for. Did I do this wrong? I didn't want to call in and once I got to the airport it cleared easily. But I was just curious why I couldn't do this at check-in on line.
I believe that it will only give you an immediate confirmation if the flight is not oversold. So while UA may still be selling Y or B fares on the flight, by overselling it, they won't do SDC confirms onto the flight but they will let you put yourself on the standby list.

Depending on how far you are from the airport, the 3-hour limit is pretty tight, in many cases you need to pack and be ready to leave for the airport before you can even try for the SDC, so it's not a whole lot better than heading to the airport and just standing by.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm Reason: merge