FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:34 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Just got off the phone with a personable rep who claimed that it was absolutely impossible for Amex to waive the $65 fee, and stated this was never done under any circumstance (obviously he never reads FT).

At my request, I was transfered to a supervisor who took an even harder line. He stated emphatically that fee waivers are never given out nor bonus Starpoints. When I mentioned that other "friends" got relief, he wanted to know who they were so he could review their account.

After that bit of absurdity, I ended the call and sent an email requesting relief.

As a data point, I've had this card since 1996 and spend thousands each year with this card. This is not a churn and burn card.

So loyalty and good spending is not always recognized.

I will cancel this card if a more positive reply is not received.
It is a shame there is not a collective "brain" that knows what everyone else is doing, or understands the good to be had by providing good customer service. As mentioned time and time again on FT, YMMV and if you don't get the answer you like, politely hang up and call back in.

I once called in about a problem and the agent I spoke with assured me there was no such problem with their system. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told SHE was a supervisor. Not letting up, she put me on hold to consult with someone. When she came back, she appoligized and said she's just back from maternity leave and had not caught up on her memos. Ooops.