FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Reason for Discomfort
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:17 pm
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
OK, don't laugh. I own a cannon.

It is a black powder cannon, 2" bore. I used to take it to Independence Day picnics and set it off a couple of times. It makes a huge noise and lots of smoke. At night, the muzzle flash is awesome. I never shoot projectiles except for tight wads to allow proper breech pressure and big boom. And I mean big. Louder than any fireworks.

I have not shot it in a few years because of no opportunity, but it is perfectly shootable. It is safe as long as one remembers the absolute three rules of cannon shooting: Do not stand in front of it. Do not stand behind it. Swab the bore.

To shoot the cannon I need 6-7 Oz of 1F powder and some 3 or 4F for the vent hole if I am going to touch it off. I usually use cannon fuse of about 3 seconds/inch and avoid the 3 or 4F.

My first question: If I go and buy that stuff to shoot my cannon, will I get put on a list? I buy from a huge blank powder supply house in the area.

My second question: What is the best soap to get blank powder residue off my skin before the next time I fly?

A third question that is completely informational: Can I bring cannon fuse on the plane? What about checked? (It is probably considered an incendiary.)

Yes, these are serious questions.