FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - if you rent a vacation house and hurricane damages, who pay? You or the landlord?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:08 pm
Dan98

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by roundrulers
if you rent a vacation house and hurricane damages, who pay? You or the landlord? I assume there is no travel insurance that covers something like this?

I was asking my co-worker's wife for advice. She works for a local residential property management company with several hundred rental apartments and houses(all owned by the management company). She said their standard rental contract stipulates that the renter is responsible for damages, including from winds/floods/hurricanes/fires/etc. They had one apartment that was damaged by a fallen tree during a storm. They succesfully sued the tenant and recovered the repair cost(around $15000) in court. The judge ruled that according to local laws and the contract, the tenant is responsible, even when the damage was caused by nature.

However, I don't know if the same laws apply when you travel to another state and rent a vacation house?
Jesus. Is this even possible ? ... is with these laws in US , that judge is a freeakin' moron.