FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld's questionable safety
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:33 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
And safety should not just be measured by hull loss of fatalities. Safety is a way of operating. Safety is an attitude. I am horified when I hear things like "Air XXXX does not go around", or captains being demoted or repremanded for refusing to fly an aircraft with defects, or covering up operational mistakes/incompitence can calling it something else (like blaming turbulance for passanger injuries when they were caused by a lack of hydrolics).

Past tragedies are unfortunate history. If an airline learns from these unfortunate events and changes the way the operate, then that is a good thing for future staefy. When "saving face" or containing costs are what motivates operating and safety policy, then that is a future tragedy waiting to happen.

I won't name names here, but there are some very well known and respectied airlines that offer among the best premium class services in the industry, that seem to consider safety as optional in come circumstances. As I said, it is an attitude, and that attitude must be instilled from the top right down through the tech crew, caboin crew and ground staff.