FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.

I agree (like many others here) that it makes sense to not count bonus miles earned fairly cheaply from the likes of credit cards, etc. However, is it truly a sound business decision to treat premium flyers exactly the same as deep discount flyers when it comes to Lifetime Status?

This isn't a concern of most on these forums, given that the vast majority of FTers fly deep discount and try to maximize their elite status at the lowest cost. However, for the few of us that do pay premium fares consistently, it would be helpful if these comments and concerns were passed on to Maya or the relevant decision makers. The Lifetime Program may have been announced but given that it doesn't fully implement until 12/1, there may yet be time to incorporate some (positive from a business standpoint) changes.
As a deep discount flier who wouldn't know a 1.5 EQP fare if it bit me, I wholeheartedly agree with the modification to allow COS bonus to count in this equation. It really does make sense to incent those who are paying the big bucks to allow us bottom dwellers to achieve EXP.

Cheers.