FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 pm
onlyairfare

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by swanscn
Let's remember who made this statement, "Parker" from USAIRWAYS. Possibly the dimmest bulb in the bunch. What he is is looking for is free labor and someone else to blame. If US really wanted to do this they would put their people in place to handle the situation before it got to TSA's domain. But this would cost money, and Parker is against paying people (unless it is his overpriced friends). He caused the situation for his airline now he has to deal with it.
And thinking charging at the gate will solve things I would image that would only increase the delays.
At a Star Mega DO 2 event sponsored by US, Doug Parker announced that in the prior year, US had an operating profit of $400 million. And just by coincidence, baggage fees for the same period totaled $400 million.

No wonder he wants additional (free) personnel drumming up more checked baggage business.

I was a PIT-based Chairman's Preferred back in the 1990's logging 200,000+ miles per year, mostly with US. That was back in the day when US had by far the best FF program in the industry, especially at the CP level - always a free upgrade for me and my traveling companion, never a sold-out flight for me, always the award tickets of choice readily available. Yes, the times have certainly changed