FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:54 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
We simply disagree on the TSA issue. All I'm suggesting is that the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray be dispositive. If the bag doesn't fit, it can't go through. Pax choice what to do next. Presumably back to counter to check it.
My point is that there are other airlines elsewhere in the world with far stricter carry-on policies than here in the US. Size and weight are pretty rigorously enforced - by the airlines. This is appropriate.

TSA hasn't even mastered the smallest details of its 'mission' yet, and as an organization, it manages to muck up whatever it touches.

If non-US airlines can work this out, why can't US airlines?

If this is designed to speed things up at the checkpoint, I don't see that happening. There are certainly frequent flyers who would get bounced - once. But I suspect that most of the folks who would be turned around and sent back to check a bag are going to be infrequent or first-time flyers (of which we have a never-ending supply). They don't fly frequently enough to be 'educated' by draconian penalties at the checkpoint.