FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:17 pm
N965VJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Wow, there's a surprise! Doug Parker and US trying to shift blame on a problem they helped to create. Oddly, US rolled out sizer boxes at the gate in the early 90s, but when Stephen Wolfe became CEO he ordered them removed because they did not convey his Global Airline of Choice vision he had (that was back when Envoy was winning awards, man how times have changed). Perhaps Parker can dig them out of whatever warehouse they've been sitting in since 1998.

Originally Posted by 14940674
If I am missing something here, please correct me.
It is up to each individual airline to determine what their carryon bag rules should be, and those are written into the Operations Specifications that the FAA signs off on. Having TSA employees trying to enforce all the different policies would be a disaster, and they have enough problems to deal with such as Red Team test failure that are off the charts.

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Of course.

And there should be one TSO assigned to every plane. (FTSO) Once boarding is complete the FTSO should have the responsibility of checking every mobile device to make sure the device is "completely-powered-down-not-in-airplane-mode."

FTSOs should also be deputized by the ATF. After the mobile device check is finished they can assist the FAs when handing out alcohol to make sure no one is under-age or over-served.
Hey, send the TSA guy over here to clean out all the crap that someone left behind in my seat pocket!