FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm not "economically viable" according to BW
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:23 am
duxfan

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Thumbs down I'm not "economically viable" according to BW

Wow.... Talk about a kick in the teeth. A rep from BW rewards just told me in writing that I'm not "economically viable".

Here's the story. We have a contract with a particular BW property. The contract does not specifically state that we won't get points for the stays. In fact, our travel provider thinks we should, just as I do at every other hotel I stay at.

This BW property disagrees. When I took this project, I asked for a status match, was comped Diamond. The hotel refused to enter my number, so I'd submit them online after the fact. And BW would grant me credit. We have a great rate (but it's really about what this particular BW is worth). This week I was told that because the rate is more than 20% below the inflated rack rate for the hotel, BW won't give me credit.

I pressed the issue with Customer Support. I was told by a BW representative that the hotel refuses to go "above and beyond", and that I am not "economically viable" to Best Western. At this point I have over 20 BW nights this year, and my company has spent thousands of dollars at this particular property.

I understand that I don't spend as much as this property would like. But they offered the rate. I wouldn't earn as many points, but why is it an issue? Does it cost the individual BW properties that much to reward loyalty? My company has a loyalty program as well, and we don't set such a floor. We use the program to encourage customers to spend more.

The rep told me that I was not "economically viable" without knowing how much our company spends on hotels. We were approached by a BW property in another location in the past few weeks, trying to earn our business. I've already contacted our travel provider to make sure we stay where we are now. I've shortened or cancelled my personal stays, and since so many of my stays won't be credited, I've asked that my account be closed.

I know there's been talk of consistency (and lack thereof) at Best Western. The Rewards rep made it very clear that BW doesn't want my business unless I spend more, but to be honest, the property isn't worth it.

I won't name names, I won't name the hotel. But I'll be avoiding BW from here out whenever possible.