FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Berlin to USA: Non-stop flights?
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:38 pm
tfar

Thanks for the interesting answers.

It must be the lack of big employers. But still, Berlin is a city with three million people, the capital of an economically, culturally and politically very important country and partner of the USA. BTW, afaik, Chicago and Berlin are twin cities. That alone should be a good reason to have a direct flight.

Changing planes is simply a hassle, in my eyes. When I go to a city like Austin, I can understand it. But from one important metropolis to another there should be non-stop flights, as far as that is possible in terms of range.

I can see the economic and organizational reasons behind it but it's just plain infuriating to have so little connectivity in such a big city. It would be nice if they made BBI the hub for some big airline.

I was thinking Continental might stop its service EWR/TXL because I was looking for a flight next February and didn't see one. But maybe it was just that date. Perhaps they are not daily.

I hope they keep up that route. It is very convenient.

So what else is known about the Air Berlin oneworld deal? Gonna happen? I really enjoyed Air Berlin the few times I took their flights. Excellent service, on time, clean planes, pretty and friendly FAs, good prices. The only hiccup is their 6kg (8kg with laptop), single piece cabin luggage rule. But they do check one free piece up to 20kg. At least there is no fight for overhead space this way.

Till