View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:37 pm
UAPremExecflyer
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GNVGator View Post
Going from MCO (most likely) to IST March 2012. I have about 100k US miles, 100k Amex MR, 30k with SPG, and another 20k with Marriott (don't know if those transfer to airline miles).

My goal is to book a coach ticket with cash and then do a miles/cash upgrade. US has a 30k miles + $300 upgrade to envoy which seems like a decent deal. I've done this one time before with US from CLT - MAD on the old 767, quick and easy transaction with a discount fare. The "lay flat" bed was short for me (but I'm 6'7 so most seats will be short) and worse the crew was on the lazy side (probably an anomaly though).

Anyways my options are to fly with LH,OS,UA,AC,TK, or US. Which airline has the easiest/cheapeast upgrade options? It seems that most of these airlines only allow a 1 class upgrade but business is fine. I read the master thread on *alliance upgrades but it was from 2004 so don't know if the information is current. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks
GNVGator
Upgrading on any airline other than US using your DM miles means you must purchase an expensive cabbage ticket - Y or B only. That is a *A upgrade. There is a thread on the US forum about *A upgrades - suggest you read that.