FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Removes Miles Boost for DL Gold Amex
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:51 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Smaug
I'll be changing in January (or sooner) as well. All the other card benefits (except for the companion ticket), I get as a Medallion. Free bag - check. Priority boarding - check. Never use pay with miles since they don't earn MQMs or can get upgrades.

I charge roughly 15k-20k/year so I would never hit the MQM threshold for the Plat.

Not sure which card to choose. If the thresholds were lowered for the Plat, it would be a no-brainer. Otherwise, I could even consider the Reserve or the regular AmEx Plat if I felt there was enough value to justify paying the $450 annual fee.
If you are an elite on DL, I don't think the gold card makes much sense, seeing you already have the checked bags and zone 1 or 2 boarding anyway and there are other reward cards out there that give better compensation than 1 skymile/$.

I see you are a hilton gold. I consider a hilton point worth at least as much as a skypeso and with the hilton am ex you get 3 pts/$ charged. After I get my mileage spending in for the MQMs, all my non-delta am ex spending goes on the Hilton Am Ex since I realize better rewards from it.

Delta also has a Optima Am Ex card that my friend downgraded to a few years ago but it only gives 1/2 skymiles per $ charged but there is no annual fee.